Just a quick update. The peas are popping up like daisies... or peas. Everything else is growing, but slowly.
I managed to convince my yard work resistant husband to help me with tearing out more blackberries, and we got most of them chopped down. We won't be able to get rid of the cuttings until the first weekend of May when the yard debris dumpster is brought in though. So for now we have a pile of blackberries in the way, keeping us from digging up the roots.
Admittedly it doesn't look much better than it did two months ago... but they grew back quite a bit in that time! I'm also slowly (very slowly) laying down a thick layer of newspaper along the back of the house and covering that with buckets full of lava rock that I have been removing from the front yard. Hopefully this will make a weed proof barrier that can act as a path behind the house, and protect the siding from encroaching blackberries. i picked up a towing ball for my car so my husband can borrow his mom's trailer this weekend and we can make a dump trip or two. My hope is that we can remove all the junk from the blackberry area and get both sheds cleaned out as well. They still have tons of stuff the previous tenants left behind.
Eventually the back yard will house winter squashes, which i just can't seem to fit in the garden proper, and maybe some nasturtiums and sunflowers that I also ran out of space for. The soil back there is in great shape and should work out well with just a bit of sand and compost mixed in.
Lastly, the patio is completely scrubbed, the patio furniture moved into place, my solar lights were repaired or replaced, and most of the gardening junk has been moved. It's finally starting to look like a nice place to spend our time in the summer.