Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Gardener's Serenity

(Deity), grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

I may not be a Christian but I recognize useful advice when I see it, and have always felt the Serenity prayer was worth remembering.

Sometimes it's even helpful in the garden. 

Like when heavy machinery is pulling out the stump next door so a new house can be moved in, 5 feet from my door.

or when rain and hail do their best to destroy everything I've worked so hard for...
Or an unknown critter has decimated my mint .
 Gardening involves needing a lot of serenity to accept the things we cannot change; it is very dependent on the whims of nature and often there just isn't anything you can do but sigh and accept that you may have to pull out that mint you just planted.  But on the bright side the lettuce is doing great and will be ready for harvest soon!

I just wish I had to the wisdom to know if I could save the mint or not.

Happy Beltane everyone, may the fertility and bounty of your gardens be beyond measure.




No comments:

Post a Comment