Thursday, August 23, 2012

Garden is Slacking Off

Sorry to be a slacker about blogging, but this week has been full of recovery from the kitchen remodel and catching up on all the things I didn't do because I was remodeling.  Like laundry and dishes and cleaning house.

The garden has been rather unproductive too.  The peas are done, but the eggplants and peppers and winter squashes have nothing to harvest yet.  Right now the only things coming out of the garden are a few beans (the Royal Burgundy are still producing like crazy, Fortex is a smaller harvest but still going), cucumbers that have slowed down since their initial burst of fruits, a zucchini here and there, and a handful of tomatoes each week.  I am so sad that after all of the work I put into the garden this year the weather has nearly shut down tomato, eggplant, squash and pepper production completely. 

Surprisingly the jalapenos have quite a few fruits ready... but with no tomatoes for salsa making I'm just not sure what to do with them.  My family just isn't into spicy stuff.

I did can some pickle relish earlier this week, and one quart of dill pickles.  It's my first attempt at pickles, so I'm letting them rest before trying them and hoping that the recipe worked out well.  If anyone has an awesome dill pickle recipe for whole pickles I'd love it if you'd share, I'm always on the hunt for great, tested, and approved recipes.

 That's about all I have to report today, hope everyone has a lovely day.

6 comments:

  1. I have the tomatoes, but no jalapenos. We need to get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, if it wasn't a 6 hour drive I'd take you up on that. I'm getting desperate for tomatoes. Right now it's looking like there will be no salsa, no sauce, no canned tomatoes... nothing. I planted twice as many plants as last year and so far have very little to show for it.

      Delete
  2. And I have neither. I could mooch off both of you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two words for what to do with your jalapeƱos: pepper jelly! Buy a few bell peppers and make jelly. It is great on roasted meats, on crackers with cream cheese, and my family's current favorite-peanut butter and pepper jelly sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of pepper jelly... but i'm skeptical, it just doesn't sound appetizing. Plus, i'm not really getting enough jalapenos for it. i'm thinking i may just freeze them and add them to things when needed. That way i can add a few to the bag as they are harvested.

      Delete
    2. Oh, hot pepper jelly is delicious! I like it just plain on Club or Ritz crackers. Most recipes take a cup or less of chopped jalapeno peppers.

      Delete