Wednesday, August 1, 2012

This Is Not August

The calendar tells me it's August 1st.  But the weather tells me it's early June.

Temperatures are ridiculously low, the sky is overcast, I actually needed a jacket this morning when I went out to check on the garden. 

Peas along the fence
More peas, with tomatoes in front
 Obviously the peas agree with me that it's only June, they are enjoying the cool weather and putting on another flush of pods.  Meanwhile the tomatoes are still no bigger than they were last June, and the earliest varieties (Oregon Spring and Beaverlodge Plum) are just beginning to blush; nearly a month later than average.  Even the cherry tomatoes haven't ripened yet, they are piling on the branches but still as green as ever.
First tomatoes of the year
 While most of the fruiting veggies are struggling with the cool weather, the slicing cucumbers seem to have gone into overdrive.  They are climbing up over their trellis and packed with about 6 cukes that will be ready for harvest by the end of the week, and plenty more aren't far behind.

Cucumbers hiding under a bounty of foliage
My July harvests weighed in at a total of 21 lbs. 3.5 oz., a few pounds less than June's.  I am still hoping that August will pay off, but I already know this year isn't going to be anywhere near as bountiful as last year.

I did however pull all of my onions that had bulbed, and trim out over a pound of herbs for drying today.  I also made my first batch of zucchini bread and the last batch of coleslaw yesterday.  I'm gearing up for the major harvests and processing of the year, even if the plants don't seem to be gearing up with me.

10 comments:

  1. You're cold, and we're in the 90s and expecting to hit 102 on Sunday! I'd be happy to take just a little of your cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will trade you! I know I'm going to be miserable if the weather gets too hot, but at least I'll have some veggies. I am so jealous of all the other bloggers who are rolling in tomatoes and peppers and eggplant. :(

      Delete
  2. Never fear! 90+ degree weather this weekend. BTW, your garden is looking great despite the lack of heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! It's nice to connect with another gardener in the area. I am looking forward to some heat this weekend finally.

      Delete
  3. It's been a crazy crazy year. Stuff that should be ready-isn't. Stuff that shouldn't be-IS. Your garden looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Crazy weather this year, all over the country.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Lol, I have the same trouble imagining eggplant in June! Here they aren't ready until the end of July or later. This year I don't even have flowers on my eggplant yet.

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks great; my peas were gone before the end of May, earlier than usual. I am thinking of starting some more though, if we have a long warm fall I'll get a good crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd imagine you could grow peas nearly all year! It almost makes me long to move south, but I know I'd be miserable in the heat.

      Delete