Saturday, August 4, 2012

What Was I Thinking?

It's our first 100+ degree day this summer, and today was the day I decided to pick apples for applesauce and apple butter.  I have literally been slaving over a hot stove trying to cook up 16 lbs of apples and get them canned.  I also picked up about a dozen beautiful peaches from the same farm and they are the most delicious peaches I've ever had.  I'm kind of wishing I'd gotten more.

Meanwhile I now have 4 slicing cucumbers and 3 pickling cukes picked.  Not really sure what to do with the little ones... not even enough for one jar of pickles.  The big ones are going to be sliced up and will make an appearance at a potluck tomorrow as greek snacks.  Pita, tsatsiki, tomato, olives, and maybe even a few nasturtiums for pizzazz will make for a tasty platter on a hot day.

Gotta go, apple butter is in need of stirring!

2 comments:

  1. That's always the "bad" part about putting up food--it ripens in the hottest part of summer. I don't have AC, so lots of times I'm doing it VERY early morning so the house has time to cool before the sun comes up. Ah, summer.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more of a late to bed, late to rise person. If it's just too hot for canning I'll save it for the evening. Plus, the little one is in bed by then and isn't under foot trying to "help". Canning just isn't safe for him, too many super hot things.

      Delete