Monday, August 6, 2012

Harvest Monday: August 6th

Thanks to Daphne's Dandelions for hosting Harvest Mondays.

I am a bad blogger... I failed to take many pictures of this week's harvests.  Well, except for the tomato earlier this week.


So the quick list is: 4 large slicing cucumbers, 3 pickling cucumbers, lots more peas (though I think the sugar snaps are pretty much done), lots of beans, one Oregon Spring tomato, two Beaverlodge plum tomatoes, one large zucchini, one jalapeno.

The slicing cucumbers are doing ridiculously well, while the pickling and lemon cucumbers are just beginning to produce and are much smaller plants.  The Speedy beans are long done and pulled out to give the zucchini more room.  But Royal Burgundy and Fortex are still going strong.  Slugs have been culling the zucchini and keeping it down to one to two fruits a week, which is manageable at least.  Though they aren't leaving me much to spare to send my mom.  The only peppers coming in are the jalapenos and they are coming in much too soon, since I only grow them to add to salsa... but the tomatoes aren't ready.

The three tomatoes that were ready this week tasted fantastic and were sliced into pita bread with tsatsiki (yogurt/cucumber/garlic dip), cucumber, and olives for a veggie sandwich.  I forgot just how good  garden tomatoes were.  Despite my seeming overwatering, the fruits were tasty and not at all mealy, so I think my watering is just right at once a day.  My soil is super well drained though to combat the heavy spring rains we get.

All in all this week is turning out pretty well harvest-wise, with nearly 6 lbs harvested all together.

9 comments:

  1. I roast my peppers, remove the skin and seeds, chop and freeze. They are ready whenever I need to make salsa and they taste yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, good idea. I just feel like it's a waste of time to roast one tiny jalapeno, but I could toss it in the oven when I'm making other things.

      Delete
  2. Well I guess I must be a bad blogger too ;). I am also short on photos. There is just so much to do right now that I never seem to get around to take any photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm usually so concerned with getting things in the house and weighed and washed and put away I totally forget the picture taking part. Especially when it's not a very impressive harvest. Like one cucumber.

      Delete
  3. I would LOVE to have some tomatoes. Mine just sit there-green and hard. Oh RIPEN PLEASE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may say that you're a bad blogger but you just gave me an idea on what to do with the remaining cuke in my fridge before it starts to rot: I'm making tsatsiki. Haven't had that in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I have trouble when the slicers come in like crazy; you tend to get sick of eating sliced cucumbers four times a day. So I do refrigerator pickles with them and tsatsiki, and I also use the slicers for relish.

      Delete