Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tater Time

Today my son convinced me to get seed potatoes.  I've never grown potatoes before, so I'm hoping this will be a learning experience rather than just a waste of time.  We picked out German Butterball potatoes, I tried to convince him on the purple or red varieties, but like most 3 year olds he is set in his ways.  The package has 5 seed potatoes in it. I'm going to get them started inside with the rest of my starts, in 6" pots, then move them outside once they've sprouted... and once I find somewhere to put them.

This is the same kid that forced me to buy zucchini last year, despite my reluctance, and it turned out to be one of the most productive crops in the garden.  I'm willing to give it a try.  I'm thinking I could build the potatoes some boxes that are small but deep and can be moved around if needed.  Also, since I have to do the research for myself anyway, I'll get a potato culture post up, and onion and garlic ones as well since this is the time of year for planting those things.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment