Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Comparison: 2011 to 2012

I have been unable to shake the feeling that the weather is going to put my plants way behind, and that I may not get a harvest at all from some of them.

To put into perspective my reasoning here are some pictures of the pumpkin bed.

July 12, 2011

July 13, 2012
This bed has several different plants in it this year, but most notable are the pumpkins climbing the shed to the left of the frame.  The pictures were taken nearly the same day, one year apart.  Both years the pumpkins were planted from starts as soon as the weather warmed enough to put them in the ground.  In 2011, that was roughly the 8th of June, in 2012 they were transplanted under row cover in late May. 

The pictures make it obvious how much impact the weather has had.  Everything is growing, and looks healthy, but the 2011 pumpkins were up over the roof of the shed by this time last year, and the 2012 pumpkins are only halfway up the wall. 

Another big indicator is that last year it hit 100 degrees the weekend of our big summer camping trip, this weekend it might just hit the upper 80s on the same weekend.

On the bright side, my rosemary in front of the shed has gotten huge in just one year! (the 2012 picture doesn't show it.)

6 comments:

  1. I always think things are behind the previous years, then can usually go back and find out they aren't. That's what's so great about blog photos. I think 2011 was my worst gardening year (much cooler summer). This year is promising to be my best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weirdly, 2010 was the worst here. Gardeners all over were complaining that they had nothing but green tomatoes until the cold started. Last year was great here, but this year's shaping up to be a lot like 2010.

      We just can't beat the weather, despite our best attempts.

      Delete
  2. Crossing my fingers that our pumpkins hit a growth spurt soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! We need some sun here. The whole rest of the country has been suffering some extreme temperatures and my little nook of the world is actually cool and overcast. What the heck?!

      Delete
  3. Hi there-I wanted to THANK YOU for the info you left on my blog about my mystery plant. You hit it! Wonderful. The greatest thing about blogging is the smart folks you "meet" out in blogland. Thanks so much for you help and interest.

    Love your blog---glad you commented!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to do some googling, but the pictures got me curious about what it was. Glad I could help.

      Delete